Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Surgery Number 7

So after taking a long break. I decided that I was well rested. I went back for surgery number 7. This one was the easiest so far bc it was just a simple hysteroscopy. Let's call it a spring cleaning.

I had my first hysteroscopy four years ago when they found uterine polyps. I had my second one last year and again they found micro polyps all over. This time they found about 6 larger polyps. I am not sure if this is better or worse than having tons of micro poylps.With the micro polyps you need to get scraped out which causes more pain and bleeding afterwards. This time with them being larger, he was able to cut them out, so I had minimal bleeding.

The procedure went really smooth. Being that it was number 7, I was well prepared. I got dressed in my rubber soled slippers, drawstring pajama pants and shirt, and a zip up sweatshirt.  We got there and everything went on schedule. I also made sure DH was prepared to sit around and wait. I had to pack him an activity bag with snacks, paper/pen, music, laptop etc. I wanted him to remain calm and not get grumpy.

I had to answer them same list of questions over and over from different people. For the first time when they asked me if I was allergic to anything, I had to say Dillaudid. Last year I got a mega rash from head to toe from it. I also mentioned that most times, something made me vomit despite them telling me they put something in my IV to prevent that. I got thinking about it, I asked them if I could go easier on the pain med. My GI system is very sensitive to narcotic pain meds, and I think that is what really makes me sick.

The anesthesiologist was really great. She listened to my concerns. She said she would go really light on the sleep meds, not use narcotics unless really needed. She said they would use a stronger local block.

When I woke up I was alert and pain free. I was still in the OR and my legs were still up which meant my bottom was out in the open. I was still groggy but BRRRR it was cold. I could not complain bc I requested that they go light with my meds.

After that it was great. I had the best transition ever. In recovery, they gave me a heated blanket. After a short while, I was able to just go back to my room, eat my crackers, drink my ginger ale, pee and go home. No pain, no nausea, no vomiting, no rash. It was great to be able to just wake up and get ready to go.

I got home and felt fine. I had taken the next day off just in case I was ill or in pain. So today is a bonus for me.

I am glad that I decided to do this. The Dr said that it was worth it. My DH calls them cave trolls and I am glad they are gone, at least for now. The dr said they will just grow back. I have had them out three times in six years. He said the quickest he saw them come back was 2 months. So my dh and I better get busy. Well after the two week  BD ban is  over from the Dr.


  1. Glad that this time was better. I hope this is your last! ...I know I keep holding for my own health miracles!

  2. So glad this one went smoothly! I hope you don't have to go back! Have they said what the cause of your polyp growth is? Why would they come back so fast? I know what you mean about packing your DH an activity bag, I pretty much do the same for my DH too he gets cranky when he is hungry!

  3. So glad all went smoothly and that you are feeling so well!

  4. I'm glad your anestheololgist listened to you! What a great recovery! I'm glad you had a bonus day. And I am praying that this "clean out" is lucky #7 & helps!!


Thank you for stopping by. I love getting comments. You may also send me a private message if needed. I had to turn the word verification back on due to way too much spam.