Home Adoption Timeline Adoption Resources Infertility Resources My TCC Summary Image Map

Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Repurposing Syringes for Math Class.

My pms is kicking in. Last night I could not sleep due to hot flashes off and on with cold flashes.I have one large red swollen (look at me) zit right in the middle of my face.

I was at a meeting today when I overheard someone mention a surprise pg. This is her second child and she was commenting about how inconvenient it will be to be large over the summer. OMG I wanted to rip her hair out.  I sat in the car thinking that I just can't do this anymore. I am getting so sick and tired of losing. Thankfully next week is my procedure. I am praying that they find something small enough to make me want to continue or large enough to get me to quit. No more grey areas.

There is part of me that wants to give up but there is another part that tells me try one more time or you will regret it. I got home and saw a comment from TCIE, it was nice and made me feel better. She mentioned also wanting to try everything possible before giving up. Our stories are similar except she has pcos and I have lufs.

I teach math. Today we reviewed customary capacity. Before school, I dug through the recycle bin to find a gallon, quart, pint, and cup sized container. Then I found some that were in between. We pretended it was like the price is right and they had to estimate the size of the mystery containers. They did a great job.

Tomorrow we are going over metric. This is basic bc it is only liter and militer. I rememebr when I was young seeing the eye dropper in the math text book and thinking is it the drop or the whole dropper? We never got to play with a real one to find out. Well since I have been taking so many shots over the past few years, I finally found the answer. One ML is not just one drop it is about 20.  I saved my finished neupogen bottles and I got every last drop out. Then I got some food coloring and put back one ml back in since the bottle's capacity is only one ml. I thought it would be cool to show them how much one ml is in the bottle.

Then I found some unused syringes from when I tried pio shots last year. I was able to unscrew the needle. I cannot belive I ever let my dh stick me with that. The barrel makes a cool plunger and the ml are marked. I will let them use the syringe to try and fill up one liter. Of course after a few minutes they realize 1,000 ml will take all day.  I was glad to be able to repurpose my syringes into math materials.

4 comments:

  1. I had a conversation just like that at work yesterday (the complaining about the summer heat). I had to sit and listen to it as it was taking place right outside my cubicle and I was in the beginning of the conversation before it turned to 2nd pgs.

    I truly thank God every day for the blogs, the support and encouragement is the only thing that keeps me going sometimes.

    Prayers that the next week goes by quickly and you are given the answers you need.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You sounds like such a great math teacher! I love the ways you make learning fun and real for your students.

    Praying you have clear direction regarding continuing or quitting IF treatments!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! What a great way to recycle those syringes! I'll have to remember that if I ever have to teach capacity!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree that comments from fellow bloggers make my day! It lifts me up so much. Especially on rough days, like PG announcements and whining PG women. Yuck. Your reaction would be something I would consider doing too! Praying for you having to deal with this insensitivity.
    I'm glad you found such a neat use (NOT shots!) for your syringes! I would have never thought of that.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. I love getting comments. You may also send me a private message if needed. I had to turn the word verification back on due to way too much spam.