Home Adoption Timeline Adoption Resources Infertility Resources My TCC Summary Image Map

Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Gel Manicure


Gel manicure: 3 weeks ago, I had a manicure for the first time in years for my Aunt's anniversary party. I really enjoyed the attention and my nails did look fabulous. I got a gel manicure for the first time. It had been so long since I had any type of manicure that when I went in, the woman tried to explain it to me and I had no idea what she was talking about.

It turned out that the gel polish is different than regular polish. It costs more and it lasts longer. When they did the manicure you had to put your nails under uv lights to set the polish. I got a french manicure. It lasted about 3 weeks and it never chipped. By the end of 3 weeks my nails started to grow so the polish moved down and it was time to take it off.

I got out my old bottle of non acetone nail polish remover and it did not touch it. I was not too concerned because the bottle was very old. So I went to CVS to get some new polish with acetone in it to be sure the polish would come off. It did not touch it. I started to freak out because normally the polish starts to dissolve right away. This was not coming off at all. I googled it and found out that I had to soak my fingers in it. I had to soak them for 5 minutes and then scrub and scrape the polish off. EWWWW ERGHHH

I was so grossed out. I can only imagine the ingredients that go into that polish. I was not happy about needing to use acetone either. So while my nails did look fabulous I am not going to go that again unless I have a really nice event to go to. I cannot believe how hard it was to remove that stuff. Then afterwards my nails felt so gross and dry from soaking in that stuff.

I stopped wearing nail polish years ago due to TTC and not wanting to expose myself to more chemicals than needed.

I was weak and enjoyed them for a few weeks. It is now over and my natural nails are back.



4 comments:

  1. I've been so tempted to get a gel manicure, but I knew that the upkeep would bother me too much! Give me clear nail polish any day!

    Btw, my bf is a chemical engineer and she said not to worry too much about acetone. In small doses it isn't that bad for you. She works with chemicals every day and has three kids so I trust her!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, as I started reading this post I thought, "I am soooo getting one of these gel manicures!" but by the end, not so much! I wonder, would the nail salon have something to take it off quicker and without scraping and soaking? Cuz if so it's a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would second Second Chances in that the nail salon should have something to take it off, especially if they have to take off the gel to do a new color or something for a client.
    It is also good to know from Jelly Belly that acetone isn't super harmful either.
    I'm glad you enjoyed your manicure! Doesn't it feel good to pamper yourself sometimes? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been harrassed by salons to get a gel mani, and I always refuse...now I will definitely not get one!! Glad u treated yourself!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. I love getting comments. You may also send me a private message if needed. I had to turn the word verification back on due to way too much spam.